Choosing Functional Food as Medicine
Green vegetables are packed with a wide range of nutrients that are essential for maintaining good health. Consuming greens regularly can provide your body with various vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Here are some of the key nutrients you can get from eating greens:
- Vitamin C: Green vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach, and kale, are excellent sources of vitamin C. This essential nutrient helps strengthen the immune system, supports healthy skin, and aids in wound healing.
- Vitamin K: Leafy greens, including spinach, collard greens, and kale, are rich in vitamin K, which plays a vital role in blood clotting and bone health.
- Fiber: Greens are high in fiber, which promotes healthy digestion and helps you feel full for longer periods. Eating a fiber-rich diet can also lower your risk of developing chronic diseases like heart disease and diabetes.
- Iron: Dark leafy greens like spinach and kale are excellent sources of iron, a mineral that is essential for carrying oxygen throughout the body. Iron deficiency can cause fatigue, weakness, and other health problems.
- Calcium: Calcium is essential for building and maintaining strong bones and teeth. Greens like collard greens, broccoli, and bok choy are great sources of calcium.
- Magnesium: Green vegetables like Swiss chard, spinach, and kale are high in magnesium, which is important for maintaining healthy muscle and nerve function, regulating blood sugar levels, and supporting a healthy immune system.
- Potassium: Leafy greens like spinach and Swiss chard are rich in potassium, which plays a critical role in regulating blood pressure and maintaining fluid balance in the body.
- Antioxidants: Many green vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach, and kale, are rich in antioxidants like vitamin C, beta-carotene, and lutein. These compounds protect your body against damage caused by free radicals, which can lead to chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease.
Consuming green vegetables regularly can provide your body with a wide range of essential nutrients that promote good health. Try incorporating a variety of greens into your diet to reap the full benefits of their nutrient content.
Did you know that you can get many of the above nutrients by drinking organic herbal teas?
Here are a few of our favourite green botanical herbs fused into functional tea blends to create a mindful moment in your day and provide you therapeutic benefits for an optimised day!